Losing weight in the summer time with all the after work patio happy hours, bbq’s, grad parties, and, well, temptations, can be tough.
So tough in fact that a lot of people simply QUIT going to the gym or dieting from June to September.
Ever been there??
And hey, if that’s your thing and you are completely satisfied with it, then by all means, party on, Garth!
However, if you AREN’T satisfied with the same old, “eh, screw it, I can’t lose weight in the summer anyways, might as well not even try”, routine, then I have a few tips to help guide you through summer and LOSE WEIGHT without sacrificing all the food and drink you enjoy this time of year.
TO GET MORE TIPS SENT TO YOUR EMAIL INBOX 100% FREE, CLICK HERE
I’m also not one to think that there is any kind of “special” or “unique way to lose weight. It’s pretty simple, really. Hence the title of the article. And frankly I can’t stand the douche trainers and “experts” who hype the crap out of their stuff with words like “special”, “unique”, or whatever. So here’s the “not so special but pretty damn helpful” list of my 10 tips to help you lose weight and stay motivated this summer…..
#1. MAKE A PLAN
- Just “winging it” is a recipe for disaster. And relying on will power is even worse. When you know exactly WHAT and WHEN you are going to eat for each meal, including “cheat” meals, you basically fail proof yourself. And I’m not saying you gotta be perfect, but you drastically put the odds in your favor when you have a plan.
#2. STOP RELYING ON WILL POWER
- Will power is not some genetic trait that super fit people inherit or just “have”. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. From millionaires to bros with 6 pack abs, no one who has succeeded has RELIED on will power. They have no more than you do. They simply have a PLAN(see tip #1) and execute it to a T. It’s like that time you “forgot” to eat all day, came home, opened the fridge, and your mouth mysteriously turned into the wood chipper of food and you ate everything in sight. Yeah, that would happen to ANYONE. You aren’t alone there. But those who don’t do that rely on the “will power” of making a plan and sticking to it as opposed to just, well, will power. Geeze, is there an echo in here??
#3. YOU DON’T HAVE TO GIVE UP “EVERYTHING”
- I think that most people believe that you need to give up all the savory summer foods in order to get or stay in shape in the summer time. Hogwash! Hell, I ate my face off last weekend, and Monday hopped right back on my regular nutrition plan without a single hint of guilt. If you are “good” 80% of the time, you will drop lbs. like gangbusters, regardless of what you eat the other 20%. So you can still enjoy those cookies, pizza, beer, wine, and ice cream without the world crumbling down upon you and “killing” your diet.
#4. YOUR MOVING MORE, SO IT’S ACTUALLY EASIER(for real)
- We don’t get much of a summer here in Cleveland, so we gotta take advantage while we can. And most of us DO. We hike, bike, walk, run, mow, play with the dogs and kids, and do all kinds of cool shit outside this time of year. In a nutshell….we MOVE more a.k.a. burn more calories. So if you start or stick with a fitness routine, chances are pretty damn good that you will actually lose MORE weight than you would in the fall or winter. Take advantage of it!
Want more tips like these without even leaving your inbox? CLICK HERE to get them 100% FREE
#5. STOP USING VACATION AS AN EXCUSE
- I have heard it what seems like a million times…”I gotta stop working out cause we are going to xyz beach this month”. Oy! If you are taking the family on vacation, ENJOY IT! But I’m guessing you aren’t going for more than 2 weeks, and you aren’t gonna become obese in 2 friggin weeks. Sure, you might gain a few, after all, it’s vacation and fitness isn’t always top of mind. BUT, using it as an excuse to just quit will KEEP YOU yo-yoing up and down, or simply going in the WRONG direction. Gain a few lbs. on vaca, but KNOW you will come back and bust ass for the following 2 weeks and vua-la….leaner than before! WIN!
#6. YOU CAN’T “COVER IT UP” NOW
- It’s summer. It’s hot as hell. And the time for those loose sweaters and “cover up my trouble spot” clothes is over, mi amiga. Unless of course you enjoy sweating like a drag queen in flats! Then you will smell, and no one likes “the smelly kid”. But I digress…..Wouldn’t it be unbelievably awesome to wear a tank top…in public(gasp)….without feeling like a cow or insecure?! Believe me I’ve been there and I get it(I weighed 300 lbs. in 8th grade, to give you an idea). And it sucks big time when you have to “expose” those areas of insecurity in the summer. But THAT is exactly why you NEED to start doing something about it NOW, not 3 months from now, dammit! Use that shit as MOTIVATION! Just cause you are where you are NOW doesn’t mean it has to be permanent. Hell, I’ve even had clients look at pictures of themselves in their swimsuits every day to make sure they do everything they can to AVOID being that person anymore. You can’t cover it up in the summer, and if you have 20 or more pounds to lose, I’m guessing you probably are sick of doing it anyways. You can START making changes TODAY by clicking HERE and see how our Renegade Boot Camp can help.
#7. DO WHAT YOU ENJOY
- Like I said, there is a lot more to do in the summer, and not a lot of time to do it. So if you love biking, running, golfing, swimming, or whatever, DO IT! Honestly, that’s like the opposite of what I SHOULD be telling you because our facility here at Fit Fast doesn’t offer any of that. Most trainers would tell you that THEIR program is the one and only, greatest thing since sliced bread program to lose weight. That ain’t me. But it matters not. What matters is YOU doing the things you enjoy that will ultimately get you to where to want to be both physically and mentally. And doing what you like will also help prevent you from listening to that stupid little voice that comes up in your head on days you aren’t really “feeling it”. You know what I mean? I will say, however, that if your goal is losing weight and looking in the mirror and LOVING the person looking back, then a solid fitness program with weights, high(ish) intensity training, and a group of people who are fun to be around are the BEST, the FASTEST, and the FUNNEST(yeah, that’s a word now…don’t judge me) way to do so. Just sayin…
#8. YOU’RE NOT TOO BUSY, SO STOP IT
- It’s just not an excuse anymore. There are plenty of people busier than you who MAKE time to get and stay in shape. As I mentioned in one of my last articles, you CAN still get in shape even if your summer is jam packed with social events, work, travel, and play. And if you have found yourself using busyness as an excuse not to workout, take a good long look at what you really mean when you say it. Are you even telling the truth? How do you know? Maybe, as I’ve found with some clients, you are using it as an excuse because you are scared to try something new? And I know it can be scary, and we tend to rationalize reasons to justify that fear, busyness being one of those rationalizations. But what’s scarier, trying something new that will possibly get you healthier and happier than you’ve been in the past 5, 10, or 20 years, or having the doctor tell you you need to lose weight or you will have a heart attack…or worse?
Want more tips like these without even leaving your inbox? CLICK HERE to get them 100% FREE
#9. FIND SOMEONE TO HOLD YOU ACCOUNTABLE
- This isn’t necessarily a “summer time” tip, but it’s definitely worth mentioning. It goes without saying that losing weight is harder to do by yourself than when you have someone holding you to a higher standard. It may sting a little when someone calls you out, but if they truly care about your success, then it will inevitably HELP you succeed. Something as simple as you and a neighbor or friend walking every day at the local park can help keep you motivated even on days when you don’t even want to get out of bed. Like, you know, last weekend when you had one too many cocktails at Tina’s birthday party?! Damn that Tina for forcing that 5th drink down your throat! 😉 Having someone to answer to after you’ve recovered from the hangover sure can help. In any case, more often than not you will have exponentially better results when you have someone to hold you accountable to what you SAID you would do.
#10. ENJOY YOURSELF
Look, the bottom line is if you are doing something that you hate, you simply aren’t gonna stick with it for very long. But sometimes you DO have to do the things you don’t necessarily “want” to do in order to get what you want. That’s where having awesome PEOPLE around you can make all the difference. It makes a sucky experience less sucky(like, ya know, burpees!). And can even make said sucky experience pretty damn FUN! So find a place with cool people(I happen to know of one) and have some fun! Let loose at those grad parties and weddings! Don’t let guilt overshadow enjoying this short life you have to live. You only get one, so make the most of it! And you can make it a hell of a lot more enjoyable when you LOOK and FEEL amazing every day. So make the sacrifices, but don’t sacrifice your sanity just to lose a few lbs. That’s our motto here at Fit Fast. “Work hard, play HARDER”. Your body will do the rest….. 🙂